I'm sick of the same stupid comment I hear rightwing Christians spout about the Constitution not saying "separation of church and state". No, the Constitution does not say it in those exact words. What the constitution does say is:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…
In one perfectly elegant sentence the fore fathers not only separated church from state, they also stated you could practice whatever religion you wanted to. Just because those exact words aren't there, does not mean the concept isn't clearly and eloquently stated. So please shut up. Separation of church and state IS in the Constitution. And by the way, our fore fathers weren't Christian, they were Diest. Look it up.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Actually, many sources state that our "founding fathers" were men from many different religions & creeds. There were Christians, both Catholic & Protestant, as well as the aforementioned Deists.
Most notably, George Washington & Benjamin Franklin are said to have been Deists, but both of these great men were said to have been practicing Christians for at least part of their lives. It's reasonable to believe that, like many others, their religious views changed throughout the course of their lives.
Of course, this does not lend credibility to or for your argument, but I thought that I make note of it regardless.
Post a Comment