Wednesday, August 22, 2007
How Could This Be???
A few months ago on NPR I heard a statistic that scared the crap out of me. According to a gentleman being interviewed, 70% of Americans do not believe in evolution. I nearly wreaked the car. I’m not naïve. I do realize there are many amongst us aren’t down with Darwin, but I had no idea the number was so startlingly high. In this time in history, is seems absurd to me that so many people could turn their back on science. How could so many people stick their head in the sand? Hence, the name of my blog. Any thoughts or comments on how this can possibly be, please let me know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's fear, plain & simple. We fear what we do not know. So many of us have been told our entire lives that if we don't believe in Jesus, we'll go to hell when we die, but even more frightening to most people is the idea that the things that they were told all of their lives may be wrong. When science contradicts commonly held beliefs, the vast majority of people are going to cling desperately to the beliefs that they have structured their lives around, rather than accept new concepts which have not "proven themselves". People have to make a concerted effort to reconcile their own emotions with the facts presented to them before they are willing to accept them.
Post a Comment